Friday, November 6, 2015

Flashback Friday (#10): Something Strange and Deadly Readalong Discussion

This is a more irregular feature. Flashback Friday is where I review, or possibly discuss, an old TV show, movie, book, or album. So what's considered old? Anything that was not released within the past year and a half. By years, I mean calendar year (so for this year, June 2014-December 2015 would NOT be old).

I'm participating in the readalong for Susan Dennard's Something Strange and Deadly. I love the series, and I hope that all the hype around Truthwitch will also lead to people picking up this series and falling in love. I hope you'll join in! But regardless, here are my answers to some of the discussion questions!

1) How do you think you would react to the Dead walking around your city?

Oh my gosh. I would be terrified! I don't know who would honestly be okay with the Dead wrecking havoc in their city, and I don't know if I know anyone crazy enough to go fight them (actually, there are probably a few).  If the Dead started showing up, I would leave the city! I know some people in Connecticut, and if worst comes to worst, I also know people in Canada, and I could even flee to Brazil. I'd like to think I could be brave, but nope, that's not realistically happening. I'm too scared to actually do anything. I'd never be like Eleanor; I'd just be a bystander.

2) What do you think about the Dead? Are you glad it isn't too zombie-ish, or were you hoping for a more zombie-esque theme?

I don't think I've actually read any other "zombie" books, but I will say that I'm not normally into those kinds of books. I've never watched The Walking Dead and just generally don't read much supernatural fiction. But I actually really enjoyed the portrayal of the Dead in the series. Perhaps it's because I don't have much experience with it, but I found it to be a refreshing different take on zombies. I'm kind of glad it wasn't too "zombie-ish" because I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much. Part of what makes Something Strange and Deadly so special is that it's a historic supernatural book. It's not just about what zombies/the living dead would be like in our current society but also what it would be like, what their motivations would be, if they were in a different time in history. Props to Sooz!

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: July 24th, 2012
The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia…

Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper—

The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.

And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother.

Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.
Something Strange and Deadly: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository 
Susan Dennard: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...