Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Review: Moore Zombies by Wendy Knuth


Moore Zombies: The Search for Gargoy by Wendy Knuth
Publisher: Self-published
Release Date: September 16h, 2014
You’re not really afraid of zombies, are you? Take a peek into the lives of the Moore zombie family. When Gargoy goes missing, Baby Zom enlists her siblings to help in the search. Follow along with Gothina, the critter loving goth zombie, Broheimer, the nerdy zombie, and Kamper, the messy zombie who enjoys camping. Who, or what, is Gargoy?
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author. This did not affect my review in any way, nor am I being compensated for this post.

To be honest, I'm not really a huge zombie person. I don't watch The Walking Dead, and basically the only zombie-eque thing I've read/watched/enjoyed is Susan Dennard's Something Strange and Deadly series. But this book sounded fun, and the pictures looked amazing.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this picture book was the illustrations/pictures themselves. They really stood out and were extremely well done. The images matched the words perfectly. The colors are rich and are sure to captivate young children.

The story itself is also pretty engaging and leaves kids hanging until the end. The text is easy to follow but would probably still offer challenges for children learning to read. The plot is interesting and there are parts that kids might not find funny or at least amusing, but anyone reading along with them probably would (like play on words and stuff like that). My only qualm is that there are portions where the zombies are compared to humans, and I don't think it's necessary. It'll be like "this is a little known fact about zombies" etc, etc, but again, it's not necessary and sort of breaks/detracts from the narrative and the rest of the writing.

Overall this is a fun, engaging read that's perfect for kids who love zombies and perfect around Halloween (which was when this was supposed to go up)!
Moore Zombies: Goodreads | Amazon
Wendy Knuth: Website | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...